Net Zero Home
These home owners wanted a small well laid out energy efficient home that ‘fit’ in their rural town, met the ‘green’ benchmarks of the day and was if possible, built with low maintenance durable materials any homeowner could acquire locally. Age-in-place single floor living was as important to them as aesthetics and Net Zero energy. A small lot, high water table and solar goals competed with wetlands & a stream toward the back edge of the lot, an existing well and the need for onsite septic.
KLG set out to create a very comfortable free flowing place where everything that would be needed as our clients got older would be easy to hand on the first floor. Guest Bedrooms, Offices and a Bath were nestled under the roof on the second floor. Upscale detailing where it counted added charm not $$$.
Some of the key features are listed here:
- The insulated slab on grade allows for a minimal first floor to grade height making it easy to install an inconspicuous ramp in the future while letting the homeowners minimize steps now.
- The Covered Entry protects from the elements, provides a place for the dog to lounge and allows for year round grilling. One can also scoot between the house and garage easy too.
- The Tiled Entry has a seating area, powder/ laundry room, coat closet, utility room and a pantry.
- The breakfast bar is in the ideal location to offload groceries, build puzzles, pay bills and eat.
- The open concept kitchen, banquette seating and living room keeps the cook- part of the gathering. An energy efficient gas fireplace (back-up heat system) with beautiful stonework, unique mantle and raised granite hearth add ambience to the space and provides extra seating.
- 3’ doors (mostly Pocket or Barn Doors for added character) & ADA 5’ turning radiuses are standard throughout. They add to the feeling of openness now and will provide room for canes, walkers or wheelchair use in the future should the need arise.
- The master bath has blocking in the walls for future grab bars, and room for maneuvering a wheelchair if the need comes to pass. The sink and oversized shower are also designed for ease of use while still beautifully fitting into the comfortable rural atmosphere of the home.
- The second floor has a Suite set up for the grown kids and their future families to crash in, with room for a queen size bed, a crib, dressers, desk, closets for all their needs and if you are up for a scramble… the wooden ladder gets you to a loft with a twin sized bed, shelves for books and cloths and a place to plug in the electronic devices. The loft has its own lighting and curtains to complete the sense of place.
- The Oversized guest bathroom has a spacious shower, deep soaking tub and enough cabinets and countertops to hold all the extra towels, sheets and toiletry bags.
- The home offices are also on the second floor, one that doubles as a guest room, the other will be an upstairs guest retreat when the couple retires.
NH SAVES Zero Energy Challenge first runner up and received the maximum Energy Star Homes Rebate. This home is very well sealed with an air change rate of 0.61 @ ACH50 and a HERS Rating -14 which means the house is generating 14% more electricity than it is using. The house is set up for net metering so all the extra solar power it generates during the summer gets banked with the local grid.
Since the greenest energy is the energy never used, natural lighting and ventilation are green methodologies our grandparents understood. All the rooms in this house have ample high quality casement windows which mean no lights need to be on during the day and cooling breezes flow through the house allowing the sounds of the birds and frogs to provide a gentle symphony. To hot or cold for open windows…no problem the home and oversized garage are equipped with a multi-head mini split system that heats and cools and runs off the solar system. The Electric bill for June 2018 – all heating, cooling and plug loads was less the $20.
This New 3 bedroom, 2 and a half bath, Custom Kitchen Residence with Home Office and Connected Oversized Garage is more than what you would expect….and less.